Sunday, March 6, 2011

Rhubarb Freezer Jam + Pyrex.

At the Farmer's Market on Saturday I bought a few punches of rhubarb and a neat little old lady started talking to me about her rhubarb freezer jam and her secret ingredient- a packet of raspberry Jell-o.  So I attempted to make it today and the refrigerator portion is housed in vintage Pyrex.  I have two smaller containers in the freezer, so hopefully it's delicious!

Rhubarb freezer jam:
2 bunches rhubarb, chopped into small pieces (approx. 6 cups)
4 cups sugar
1 small box raspberry Jell-o

I washed and chopped up all the rhubarb, and tossed it with the sugar in a large pot.  I let it sit for about an hour to let the rhubarb release some juice.  I simmered it on low for about half an hour, then turned it up to a rolling boil for 5-6 minutes.  I lowered the heat again, and added the Jell-o, then let it simmer for another 10 minutes. 

It was a total experiment, so although I am sure the flavor is super the consistency may be a little off.  Either way though it will be great.  Oh- and rhubarb jam/sauce/compote is one of the best things ever on vanilla ice cream!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog and I love it! Looking forward to trying some of your recipes! I'm in Michigan too and I been hitting a lot of estate sales-we've probably been at some of the same sales and didn't even know it! :)

    ReplyDelete